Sunday 23 October 2011

Rebellious Tories: What is it about Europe?

On Monday Parliament will vote on whether there should be a referendum on Britain's membership of the EU. Even though the motion is likely to fail, more than 60 Conservative MPs might vote against the thee-line whip imposed by the Government. This has caused me quite a bit of irritation.

Anyone who has talked with me probably knows that I am (relatively) pro-Europe. It wasn't always so, but I've now seen the light. I want Britain to be the driving force behind this unprecedented project in international co-operation, one which has brought democracy and prosperity to millions. There are aspects I'm not happy with (think CAP) but, overall, I think it's a good idea.

However, it's not for this reason I'm annoyed. I can cope with the fact that many people inexplicably believe you can remain a part of the Common Market without applying EU regulations. I don't understand them, but then again there's a lot in this World I don't understand.

No, what annoys me is the way the Conservative Party reacts when presented with the issue of Europe. Britain's most pragmatic party throws reason to the wind and goes into suicide mode. The issue tore apart John Major's government in 1997 whilst failure to deal with the issue resulted in pathetic electoral performances in 2001 and 2005.

Now in 2011, Britain's economic recovery is anaemic. Meanwhile, Europe's economy hangs on the brink of collapse whilst the Continent's leaders are locked in talks on how to bring it back. If there is a defining characteristic of the Conservative Party it should be economic competence. It is the issue which defines the Coalition Government, bringing the Lib Dems into an otherwise inconceivable pact with the Tories.  

It thus seems ludicrous that  over 60 Conservative MPs could even consider supporting such a diversion of time and energy whilst the key issue of the day remains unaddressed. You can repatriate powers any time. You can only prevent economic collapse once. The contempt they are showing Britain's economic travails risks serious damage to both the Coalition and the Conservative Party. Even if they don't worry about the Coalition, they should care about the Party.

I understand that you can't ignore the calls of 100,000 voters. To ignore the petition and not hold a vote would be undemocratic. Nonetheless, there is a huge difference between supporting a vote on a proposition and supporting the proposition itself.

David Cameron should impose a three-line whip. For those who ignore it, I hope he throws the book at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment